Backyard Patio Ideas – There is a well-known phrase from a song “Home is where the heart is”, and that is true. It is not only about “the people” but particularly about “the home” itself. The more comfortable, the more you enjoy it. But, how do you escalate the comfort level in your home?
A patio is the most casual part of a house that is important for you to be relaxed after tiring day of work or just to spend your leisure time with the loved one. Due to those important functions, you need to renovate your backyard space with these backyard patio ideas.
1. Nature is the Best View
If you are lucky enough to have a scenic view around your home, it is a great potential. Maximize it by putting the patio until the view of nature becomes the background.
You can make the patio into a semi-open space or literally open space. Use the accent of surrounding nature becoming your dominant color. Make sure there is not too much furniture that can ruin the view. Relaxing yet energizing at the same time, isn’t it?
2. DIY Pergola for Beautiful Backyard Patio Ideas
A patio with additional pergola can bring personal nuance that defines the entire space. It will be a fantastic choice if you favor elegance but still close to nature. Usually, it is made of cross beams and sturdy boards with lattice and vines to cover it up.
Having a pergola doesn’t always involve a garden designer. You can make your own pergola based on what mood you want to establish. Here is the recommendation that you may need.
- Pergola can become a patio’s overhead roof that is better than canopy or anything else, and less expensive also. To make it more affordable, you can make it by yourself. The average size is usually 3×4 meters but it depends on your house.
The equipment you need to prepare: treated timber, bolts, and nuts, bolt drill, concrete. Add some timber oil to make the wood color bolder. The most exciting part of this DIY pergola is it only needs minimum maintenance. So, no more think twice, right?
- If your design of patio is a floating deck, build a pergola with the pillars around the edge. Make it simple and straightforward because the function of the pergola in here is glorifying the uniqueness of the deck.
Don’t make the pergola overwhelmed it. Give some hanging flowers in pots or vines can provide a calming effect.
- You can make a large pergola surround the path from the backyard door until the patio in the center of the yard. To make it more fascinating, put vines all around the pergola until it becomes a hanging garden.
Imagine this idea will bring your pergola into a beautiful greenery tunnel where kids can play and run all around the way.
3. Big Umbrella as a Canopy Replacement
The idea of using canopy maybe is too old school. When you want to keep it casual but avoid too boring ornament, the alternative is a big umbrella. Combine these two different vibes: chill like at the beach and modern like in your favorite coffee shop.
What furniture you choose can define the overall ambiance, including the option for your overhead roof. Even if the function of umbrella, canopy, and pergola is the same, the impact for the overall look can be so different.
4. Jazz Up the Ambiance through Lighting
Lighting is a must-have item for your patio. It is not only beneficial for your second biggest of the light source (the first thing is the sun, of course), but also for your sweet decoration.
Actually, proper lighting both in outdoor and indoor has the same important point. It offers a relaxing ambiance, casual atmosphere, fun, and safety also.
You need to have different lamps in stock for different occasions on your backyard patio. These are the options.
- String lights are good for holding a party. The effect of string lights is enlightening food and beverages areas or making a glowing light upon every person’s face that makes the atmosphere warm.
- Landscape lighting can make shrubs and flowers shining. When you already put your big effort to plant and groom shrubs, you want to show it off in front of your pals, don’t you? This type of lightings is a good opportunity to do that!
- Want to do a romantic dinner or just spend your personal time with partners? Candles and torches are the perfect answer! The light from candles provides a soft dramatic glow. Put the aromatherapy one to boost this effect.
5. Not Enough Space? Don’t Worry!
Having a patio doesn’t always require a large backyard space. Since the idea is bringing the relaxation through your home, so what the matter is how you can design the small space into a cozy one.
Foldable chair and table or multifunction furnishing can help a lot, for example, a table that is enough for placing your things but also to put the pot. Making a rail is useful to keep the small trinkets. Minimum objects can give extra space.
- Instead of putting everything on the floor, make it vertical. Vertical garden, for instance, can be a solution not only for your space but also for the wall decoration.
- Thin furniture is a must! Keep your space not to be overcrowded with heavy furniture.
- Extend your backyard by simply using a small portion of indoor space. Leave the door and window open. Suddenly, your backyard space will look bigger.
6. Escalate it Into Patio Garden
Do you love gardening? If you do, it is the perfect time to brighten up the garden space into an astonishing patio because nobody can against the magical calming effect of green trees and the good smell of flowers.
The problem is maybe you still confuse on how to lift the patio up. You can adjoin these things to make your dream patio comes true. Who said garden cannot be elegant space for your “me time”?
- Adding a bright color garden canopy will be beneficial. You can make it by yourself based on your pattern taste. Try a flowing fabric with a floral motif. Suddenly, you’ll cheer your space up!
- Instead of choosing a ubiquitous chair, you can replace it with a hammock for a special pleasure. You can take a nap in the exhausted afternoon in this place
- A garden full of colorful flowers is identical with warm summer mood. To strengthen this ambiance, put some lovely decorations like a vintage workbench to keep your gardening tools or transparent jar with good quotes to store your seeds.
- Where the space is enough, you can make the next level patio garden. For example, put your chair and table right behind the backyard door and create small stairways down for the whole space of your plants and flowers.
You can sit down while looking after your kids playing in the garden.
7. Patio on a Budget, Why Not?
The mindset of building a comfy backyard is only for a deep pocket person is totally wrong. You can alter the expensive furniture toward DIY appliance. Check your warehouse on, in case there are abandoned goods that can be useful for your patio.
For the decoration, use plants and vegetation. You can buy vines and put it in hanging pots. If you have remaining topsoil, dig it then plant shrubs.
8. Pay Attention to the Tiles
When you seem like running out of options, tiles will never go wrong.
Even if the design choices are endless, bear in mind that your tiles should check the boxes on this consideration: the strength to a wide range of weather condition, budget, whether it is slippery or not, and style including color.
There are a lot of options for tile materials. But the most common one is ceramic, porcelain, and decking tiles. Make sure it will suitable for your purpose.
9. Using Stone for Natural Looks
Stone usually has the anti-slippery texture. Slate and limestone rock are perfect for you who are looking for a variety of colors. They are suitable for a colorful millennial theme.
For a smoother and silkier texture, choose a non-porous natural stone like soapstone. To make premium, luxurious, and high-end look, graphite is the best choice. Be careful if you want to choose travertine tile because it needs to be polished, but too much polish can make it slippery.
10. Some Paver Ideas
It will be a big deal for you to pave the backyard. To make it on a budget, consider using concrete. If you prefer more glamour look, the stone can be an option. The thing is you should think about what this paver for.
Paver will be good on stairways which connect your patio and the main house. Use regional stone when you want to get a juxtaposition effect. The circle pattern bluestone with granite also looks great if combined with your patio garden.
11. Fire Pits for a Perfect Family Gathering
Fire pits are warm and interesting ideas for your backyard patio ideas. This element is more suitable for family binding. The sound of wood cracking brings people to feel close. A simple fire pit made of wood can entertain everyone in the room.
Need to impress more? Buy a gas fire pits made of stone or metal to elevate the fancy look. Don’t forget the marshmallow and chocolate bar to turn on the family party!
12. Barbecue Equipment Ornament
What is the best activity when you invite your friends or family in the house? Yes, barbecue! Barbecue party will be great in the backyard, especially if there is a garden or pool there.
When you want to grill something in this equipment, keep it in an outdoor place. What if you only have an indoor patio? Make sure the kitchen smoke suction machine is working right above the barbecue equipment.
Always keep the children away to avoid any unintentional accident.
13. Swimming “Pools Cape” Pool
A swimming pool is an ultimate way for an outdoor activity to be meaningful. It’s a perfect place to cool down and enjoy the sunset after swimming.
Enhance the aesthetic of your patio by making an asymmetrically curved line pool. Each side of it can be made with different depths. Plants on several sides will bring a positive impact to your feeling. The tile or paver you use must be specially designed for poolside.
14. Hot Tub for a Perfect “Me Time”
Who can resist from a hot tub? In fact, it is good for both body and mental health.
To make a strong concept, you can buy an umbrella that has an eye-catching color. If your dominant color is blue, have one big red object to define your personal style.
A hot tub is easily combined with other ornaments. You can add pergola with vines on top of it or barbecue equipment that are never going to be wired.
15. Last But Not Least, Backyard Fences
Some people are not interested in the fence, whereas, it is very important to support the entire look of the patio. Moreover, it is not a small object, how come our eyes not concern?
Wood is the most common material with the shape is square posts. But some people choose stacked stone, brick, and big metal fences for security reason. Remember, don’t pick pattern, style, or color that against the dominant concept of the overall patio.
You can combine each idea above depend on your savor. Put some improvements on the existing one also nice, for example: buy new BBQ equipment for remaining space, change the lamp based on the event, or plant a new good smell flower as a natural air freshener.
Another tip to remember is, don’t make your patio and home become two separate entities. The design of your home and backyard must be synchronized.
Give one or two connecting elements in the home and patio. And voila! Your home sweet home will never be this awesome.
After all, what do you think? The varieties of backyard patio ideas basically are uncountable. Do you already have or want to make it from the very beginning?