The kitchen is the heart of the home, and when it comes to cabinets, they’re also where most grease and grime accumulate. Keeping your cabinetry fresh-looking doesn’t mean going through an entire renovation – there are other ways!
When it comes to upgrading your deep kitchen cabinets, the type of cabinet does matter. One easy and affordable way to spiff up a kitchen is by making them look glossy.
Gloss finishes on kitchen cabinets have a clean and brightening effect. In addition, they are easier to wipe clean which is what you want in your kitchen! There are several ways that you can make your existing or new cabinetry look glossy as well; cleaning them already or painting them with a clear gloss finish, for example.
Guide on How To Make Kitchen Cabinets Look Glossy
This guide provides information on the materials you need, paint and gloss options, and ways of restoring a glossy finish style to your kitchen cabinets.
1. Materials Sand Down the Wooden Cabinet Doors
Sand the wooden cabinet doors first with 80-grit sandpaper so that paint can adhere to the surface.
2. Clean Up the Cabinets Th roughly
Clean the cabinets thoroughly with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) to remove all the grease, dirt, and wax. Rinse off the surface with clean water and let it dry completely.
3. Paint the Cabinet Doors
Paint the cabinet doors with a primer if you are painting them for the first time. Let the primer dry completely. Paint the cabinet doors with glossy paint in the color of your choice.
4. Restore a Glossy Finish to Existing Cabinetry
If you want to restore the glossy finish to existing cabinetry, then use a gloss-finish paint. Apply two coats of paint and let it dry completely between coats.
5. Remove All Traces of Moisture
Once the paint has dried completely, apply a coat of polyurethane to protect the surface from moisture. Let the polyurethane dry completely.
6. Add a Coat of Polyurethane to the Cabinet Doors
Apply a coat of polyurethane to the cabinet doors and let it dry completely. This will give them a glossy shine.
7. Wipe Down All Painted Surfaces with a Soft Cloth
Once the polyurethane has dried, wipe down all painted surfaces with a soft cloth to remove any dust or debris.
8. Allow Adequate Time for Each Coat
Make sure that you allow enough time for each coat of paint or polyurethane to dry before applying the next coat. Typically, it would take 24 hours for each coat to dry completely.
9. Use 320-grit Sandpaper
To give your new sleek cabinets a finishing touch, sanding will be necessary. This should remove any streaks or high gloss and make the surface smooth.
10. Let the Varnish Dry Overnight
Once you’re done sanding, give the varnish plenty of time to dry – at least overnight. This will add a layer of protection and give your cabinets that final high gloss look.
When it comes to giving your kitchen cabinets a glossy finish, these are the basic steps that you need to follow. As always, make sure that you read the instructions on the paint or polyurethane carefully before starting the project. With a little bit of effort, you can have shiny new kitchen cabinets in no time!
Precautions While Making High Gloss Kitchen Cabinets:
First off, never use primer for sealing the porous surface of the plywood and other materials. If you seal them first, then you will not get a glossy finish. Second, just clean it properly before applying three coats of varnish to it. This is sufficient enough to obtain a good high-gloss finish!
If you have any stains or watermarks left over after cleaning, use wonderful steel wool, grade 00 to remove those things and this will help you get better results. Your last option when your surface still doesn’t look shiny is to polish the wax and oil mixture. This type of mixture will make sure that it’s not just at a matte finish, but also shiny.
Make sure to not stick any papers or materials near the work area, it can be a pain when you have to remove them later and make all your efforts go in vain. Moreover, if you apply varnish again then those things will spoil your hard work.
The last but not the least important thing is lighting during work hours. Bright lights shouldn’t fall directly on your cabinet because that bright light may not let you see the dust particles that have just risen from it, meaning you won’t be able to focus. So try to avoid having bright lights before your eyes while doing this kind of job at home!
Can I Use High Gloss Paint on Kitchen Cabinets??
Yes, you can use high gloss paint on kitchen cabinets. However, you will need to follow the proper preparation steps so that the paint will adhere properly to the surface. You should also apply a coat of polyurethane to protect the paint from moisture.
Some of these include:
- Easy to clean: A glossy finish is easy to clean and resistant to fingerprints and smudges.
- Attractive: A high-gloss finish can give your cabinets a sleek and polished look.
- Protective: A coat of polyurethane will protect the paint from moisture and keep it looking shiny.
Some Helpful Tips and Suggestions:
- Make sure to clean the surface thoroughly before starting. Any dirt or dust will prevent the paint from adhering properly.
- Apply at least three coats of paint, allowing each coat to dry completely before applying the next.
- Use 320-grit sandpaper to smooth out any streaks or high gloss.
- Let the varnish dry overnight before finishing with a final coat of wax or oil.
- Use bright lights sparingly when painting, as they can cause the paint to dry too quickly and result in uneven coverage.
- Painting your cabinets is a tedious process, but it’s worth it. Be patient and the results will come sooner than you think!
You can also read: How To Vent A Kitchen Sink Under A Window
Q. What is high gloss kitchen cabinets made of?
- High gloss kitchen cabinets are made of materials such as plywood, particleboard, or medium-density fiberboard. They are then sealed with a layer of polyurethane to give them a high gloss finish.
Q. Do I need to use a primer before painting my cabinets with high gloss paint?
- No, you do not need to use a primer before painting your cabinets with high gloss paint. However, it is recommended that you clean the surface thoroughly before starting to ensure that the paint will adhere properly.
Q. Can I use regular latex paint on my kitchen cabinets?
- No, you should not use regular latex paint on your kitchen cabinets. Only use high gloss latex paint specifically designed for this purpose.